The unique ceilings in your attic might become a key architectural detail that can be enhanced with paneling, wallpaper, or other wall and ceiling treatments.
Your Complete Guide to Navigating Attic Renovations
In many metro areas across the country, the housing market is highly unpredictable right now. Mortgage interest rates are the highest rates they’ve been in more than twenty years, which naturally makes some people nervous about investing.
Despite this, some individuals still desire to increase the size of their residence or increase its value. One of the best ways to increase the value of your home is to upgrade portions of it. This might consist of a small remodel that focuses on big-ticket items in the structure, such as the kitchen or bathroom.
On the other hand, your remodel could be more expansive, including the kitchen, bathrooms, flooring, roof, and windows. While it will make your home more appealing for resale value, as well as more pleasant to live in, it won’t increase your usable square footage.
To increase square footage you’ll either have to tackle an add-on, or work within an existing unfinished area of your home. Typically, this means two locations you could focus on: either the basement or attic space.
Not all homes have a basement; many more have an attic. If a residence does not have a basement, it may rest on a slab, or only possess a small crawl space. For homeowners who have a basement, there might be concerns that prevent you from converting it into liveable square footage. Here’s what you need to know to make your next attic renovation a success.
How to Make Your Next Attic Renovation a Success
When you do an attic remodel, a variety of factors have to be considered. You want to be sure your project can meet code and building requirements as it’s converted into an inviting space that will be well used.
It’s also essential to work with the appropriate officials of your city or local municipality to make certain your remodel is up to code and passes all inspections. Marin County construction companies will be able to aid you in your remodel.
It’s no secret engaging with a Bay Area home remodeling company from the beginning of your project to help the job to run more smoothly, and finish at a suitably high standard. But let’s take a look at a few other factors that dictate the success of your next attic renovation:
- Check your floor and ceiling space: Are you allowing for the proper headspace in your attic? When you convert an attic space, at least 50% of the usable area must have ceilings that are seven feet or more. In addition, at least 70% or your space must have ceilings of at least five feet.
- Account for the climate: Is your HVAC system strong enough to support the new square footage it will be expected to supply? If not, you will have to add capacity to your existing system, or find alternative solutions. Additional considerations apart from your HVAC system may include proper insulation and ceiling fans. Heat rises, so your attic will require tools to counteract an inevitable rise in temperature.
- Attic access: Although a ladder may have been sufficient when it was just an attic, a space conversion will likely demand a proper staircase. Make sure the mode of access is up to code and large enough, with appropriate head clearance.
- Flooring: When you convert your attic, it’s crucial to make sure the structure and flooring can tolerate the new weight and load that will be placed upon it. You will have to reinforce your floor and possibly create a subfloor that’s conducive to your choice.
How to Enhance Your Attic Renovation Project
When you remodel your attic, always plan for the essentials first to ensure the conversion is up to code. Once those needs have been met, a variety of other considerations can add value, appeal, and comfort to your job.
Plan appropriate lighting when you design the space. Think about potential wall sconces and lamps to well-placed windows that would add natural light.
Added living space above the main sleeping area of your home means that movement upstairs might be noticeable. Depending on what you will use the remodeled attic space for, it may be desirable to soundproof your floors.
Adding a bathroom to your increased square footage will create a significant amount of resale value. It may also make it easier to use your new space for a large variety of different purposes.
Given the unique nooks and crannies often found in an attic, you could find many opportunities to use what would previously have been useless dead space for ready storage.
Understanding the Different Renovation Opportunities for Your Attic Renovation
An attic renovation can offer many opportunities for the savvy homeowner. Though some attic conversions are based on the homeowner’s need for additional bedroom or office space, you shouldn’t overlook the many other potential new uses for your attic space.
- Guest Bedroom: Not only does converting an attic into a guest bedroom give you more space when family or old friends come to visit, but it also significantly increases the value of your property. The average additional bedroom can increase a home’s value by as much as 15%.
- Playroom: If you convert your attic space into a playroom, you will have an opportunity to create a unique and special space for your children. A plus for you will be that you may move toy clutter completely out of the main living area of your residence.
- Quiet Home Office: Like other individuals who have transitioned to working remotely, both pre- and post-covid, you could use this opportunity to convert your upstairs space into a quiet home office, farther from the daily interruptions of the rest of the household.
- Primary Room Suite: Another option is to convert your attic into the ultimate primary suite, including an ensuite. This can furnish a private and relaxing retreat with some beautiful finishing touches.
- Entertainment Room: Do you crave additional entertainment space? Convert your attic to the ultimate teenage hangout or man cave. Include games or a premium media entertainment center.
- Studio Space: Are you a creative individual who needs more space to spread your wings? Convert the space into the ultimate crafter’s paradise, or painter’s loft. It may help you to focus on your talents and maintain privacy.
- Home Library: How about turning your attic into the ultimate reader’s paradise? Complete with built-in bookcases that maximize the space, comfortable reading nooks, and a location that allows your imagination to escape into a good book!
- Personal Spa Oasis: Are you focused on health and wellness? Then remodel the space into a zen oasis, complete with a soaking tub, steam shower, and meditation area for the yoga enthusiast.
Start Your Attic Renovation Project Today!
If the market makes you worried that you won’t be able to purchase a new home, make your current one into your dream residence. RSP Group works within the existing blueprint of your spaces, so you can maximize your living areas and help them better fit your and your family’s needs. Get in touch today, and let’s create your ideal home.
Share This Post
RSP Group is an inclusive, creative, and collaborative construction service provider in the San Francisco Bay Area. We help you realize your ambitions with unique solutions tailored to your needs.