What Are the Best Types of Home Additions?
We all want our homes to be comfortable, functional, and appealing. For many homeowners, this means adding on to their existing space to meet their needs and preferences. Home additions can range from small projects, like adding a deck or patio, to large projects, like adding a bedroom or bathroom.
Regardless of the size, home additions are a popular way to improve a home’s value and functionality.
In this article, we’ll explore the most common home additions, their typical timelines for completion, and how they can impact your home’s value. Whether you’re looking to add space for a growing family or just want to improve your home’s livability, this guide will give you an idea of what to expect when considering a home addition.
The Most Common Home Additions
There are several types of home additions that homeowners commonly consider. These additions can help to increase the functionality and appeal of a home as well as its overall value. Here are some of the most popular types of home additions:
- Bathroom: Adding a bathroom is a popular home addition, especially if your home only has one or if you’re looking to add an en-suite bathroom to your master bedroom. Adding a bathroom typically involves plumbing and electrical work as well as construction to create space for the new bathroom. Depending on the size and complexity of the project, adding a bathroom can take anywhere from several weeks to a few months.
- Bedroom: Adding a bedroom is another popular home addition, especially for growing families. This project involves creating a new room suitable for sleeping and possibly adding a closet. Adding a bedroom may also require electrical and plumbing work as well as construction to create the new space. The timeline for adding a bedroom can vary, but it typically takes several months to complete.
- Home Office: With more people working from home than ever before, adding a home office has become a popular home addition. This project requires you to create a space suitable for work, including a desk, storage, and possibly a separate entrance. Adding a home office can take several weeks to a few months. (Some people resort to building standalone shed-like structures in their backyards, which often come pre-fabricated. If you go this route, you may be able to have a home office within a matter of days.)
- Outdoor Living: Adding a deck or patio is a popular home addition that can help to increase your living space and improve your home’s appeal. This project involves constructing a platform that is suitable for outdoor living and entertaining. Depending on the scope of the project, adding a deck or patio can take several weeks to a few months.
- Garage or Carport: Adding a garage or carport is a popular home addition that can help to protect your vehicles and increase your home’s value. This type of project usually takes several months to complete, as you’ll usually need to build it from the ground up. (If you’re converting a carport into a garage, however, the timeline is much faster.)
The ROI of Home Additions
Home additions can be a great way to increase the livable space in a home and improve its functionality. However, before undertaking a home addition, it’s important to consider the return on investment (ROI) and the value it will provide for homeowners.
The ROI of a home addition can vary depending on a number of factors, including the type of addition, the size of the addition, and the location of the home. In general, you can expect a pretty nice return (assuming the addition is done well). Bedrooms and bathrooms tend to generate the highest ROI.
According to the Cost vs. Value report by Remodeling Magazine, the average ROI for a mid range bathroom addition is 55.1%, while a midrange master suite addition has an ROI of 47.9%. A midrange two-story addition has an ROI of 62.5%, and a midrange family room addition has an ROI of 58.9%.
In addition to the financial ROI, home additions can provide several other benefits for homeowners. For example, they can improve the functionality and livability of a home, making it more comfortable for the homeowner and their family. They can also increase the resale value of a home, which can be beneficial if the homeowner plans to sell in the future.
If you have a vision for enhancing your home, RSP Group specializes in making it a reality. View our portfolio to get a better picture of what we can do for you.
Why Hire a Contractor for Residential Additions?
Undertaking a home addition requires careful planning, knowledge of construction methods, and specialized tools and equipment. While it may be tempting to attempt a DIY project, hiring a professional contractor to perform a home addition can offer several benefits.
For starters, professional contractors have years of experience and knowledge in the construction industry. They have completed numerous projects and have dealt with a range of challenges, making them well-equipped to handle any issues that may arise during the project. Their expertise also ensures that the home addition is built to code and meets safety standards.
Furthermore, contractors are required to have the proper licensing and insurance to perform construction work. This protects both the homeowner and the contractor in case of accidents, injuries, or property damage during the project.
While a DIY project may seem like a cost-effective solution, it can quickly become expensive if mistakes are made. A professional contractor can help save time and money by ensuring the project is completed efficiently and correctly the first time while giving you a realistic idea of how much the home addition costs before you begin. They also have access to bulk pricing for materials and equipment, which can help reduce costs.
Finally, home additions typically require permits and inspections from local building departments. Professional contractors are familiar with the permit process and can obtain the necessary permits and schedule inspections, ensuring that the project meets all regulatory requirements.
RSP Group Construction
If you’re thinking about a home addition, let RSP Group help. Whether it’s a small deck or patio, a brand new garage, or massive 1,500-square foot addition, we can help you every step along the way. Contact us today so we can chat about your next project!
Share This Post
RSP Group is an inclusive, creative, and collaborative construction service provider in the San Francisco Bay Area. We help you realize your ambitions with unique solutions tailored to your needs.